The County Council, in partnership with both health authorities, all borough and district councils in Nottinghamshire, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue and Nottinghamshire Police has set up a Handy Person Adapatation Service (HPAS). HPAS will provide that little bit of help to older and vulnerable people living across Nottinghamshire. The type of jobs range from fitting hand rails and half steps, to changing light bulbs, fitting door locks and putting up shelves. Often very small jobs such as fixing loose carpets or installing a hand rail can prevent a fall and avoid a lot of unncessary distress to the individual.
Self employed traders on the Trading Standards approved traders register Buy with Confidence will contact you to arrange to complete the work you need. The job will be completed within five working days from when you ask for the service.
If the work needs to be completed to enable you to be discharged from hospital, then the job will be completed within 2 working days.
Who can apply to use these services?
Anyone who is disabled or over 60.
Minor adaptations cannot currently be fitted to ouses that are rented from the council or a housing association, but handy persons jobs are available to everyone.
How much will I have to pay?
The fitting of grab rails, stair rails, half steps and exterior hand rails are called ?adaptation jobs?.
You can have up to £250 worth of adaptations supplied and fitted in a single job. This will cost you £15.
Handy person jobs
The other type of jobs are called handy person jobs. These are small jobs and include things like changing light bulbs, putting up shelves or fixing loose carpets. The cost of a handy person job is £15 plus any materials used. The trader will be able to buy these on your behalf at the beginning of the job if you are unable to buy them yourself.
These prices are subject to change, so please check with the scheme co-ordinators when requesting a job to confirm the price.
Is there a limit to what I can have done?
Yes there are a few restrictions as follows:
- Requests for adapations exceeding £250 worth of materials will be referred onto the Occupational Therapy team for a full assessment
- The service does not extend to gardening, decorating, or any job requests that requires a specialist trader or is likely to exceed four hours of work.
- HPAS can only be used once in any three month period unless you need extra adaptations.
- All jobs must either reduce the risk of a fall or help you remain living independently in your home.
What can I expect from the traders?
- High quality workmanship
- Majority of jobs completed within five working days of the trader making an appointment
- Clean, tidy and courteous traders
To apply for the handy person and adaptation service call the scheme co-ordinators or email.